RE: 40-hour weeks

Subject: RE: 40-hour weeks
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 11:27:12 -0400

Melissa Nelson wrote: wanna form a support group? :)

*********************

It's called STC, the official support group for writers struggling to get the doggone info. I did a presentation at our local chapter's spring conference on care and feeding of (and info extraction from resistant) SMEs.

Dori Green

>From: Richard Lewis <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>
>To: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>,TECHWR-L
>Subject: RE: 40-hour weeks Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 07:44:32 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Only about 20% of my time per week is productive - that includes analysis
>(i.e., learning). Where does the rest of the time go? In my current
>assignment, I am driving enterprise-wide integration efforts (i.e., I am
>doing a bunch of essential data flow diagrams). I have to talk with a
>large number of analysts, managers, etc to tie their automation efforts
>together. (Their documentation of what they are doing is largely useless:
>I want to know what they are doing, and all they ever want to document is
>how they are doing what they are doing.)
>
> Soooooo much time is wasted in trying to get answers to my questions
>(i.e., not on learning, but in getting the learning inputs). There are
>two main reasons for this:
>
> * Most people spend just about all of their time focused on things that
>are either are non-relevant, or that should not be considered until much
>later in a project. These people - often senior level - are basically
>incapable of answering questions about some of the most important things
>for which they are charged.
>
> * Some people are very turf conscious. They feel that if I know the
>essentials of what they know that it subtracts from their power base.
>
> This is the way the work world works except in some rare, highly-focused
>efforts - people working 41 or MORE hours per week focused on the trivial -
>and taking forever to get some minor thing done.
>
> Richard Lewis
>

>Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:
> On Behalf Of Richard Lewis wrote:
>
> > I work a max of 40 hours a week. Of that, only about 20% of my time is
> > productive.
>
>Ah, but remember that old joke:
>
>Homeowner has plumbing problem and calls plumber.
>Plumber arrives, surveys situation for a couple of minutes, hauls out a big
>pipe-wrench and hits the pipe hard.
>"That'll be $200", sez the plumber.
>The homeowner is outraged. "Whaddya mean $200!? All you did was whack the
>pipe! I could have done that!"
>Plumber ponders for a few seconds, scribbles on a pad and hands homeowner
>an
>itemized bill ~
>"Hitting pipe ... $5.00
>Knowing where to hit ... $195.00"
>
>At least some of that other eighty percent of your time is where you learn
>all about "where to hit". Yes?
>
>Kevin

>Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!
>Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo!
>Games.
>
>Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> [...]

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/dgreen%40associatedbrands.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList