Re: Former college teacher and software developer seeks advice on getting started as a tech writer

Subject: Re: Former college teacher and software developer seeks advice on getting started as a tech writer
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Tony Horowitz" <tonygh -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 13:46:46 -0400

Hi Tony:
I think you already have a lot of experience--you just need to put it
together so you can "see" it.

First, to help you clarify (even though you say you don't have formal
experience with tech writing), take out your most recent resume (you have an
updated resume, right?). Next to each position, write:

- What you documented .... (list what you wrote, in any form, even
drafts or your own code documentation)
- What you edited (and proofreading is a form of copy edit)... (list
what you edited)
- Then, for each position, figure out what percentage of your time you
spent documenting the work you did (programming). Figure out what percentage
of time you spent creating materials for training (if you did), or if you
created materials that were later adapted for training, or for the help
desk, or for marketing, etc. Note that for each position.
- Then, list the tools you used, such as Word, Powerpoint, ?

Update your resume and cast it in a "functional" resume format by either
remove the job titles or listing them at the very end of each position.
Focus on the work you did, not the title.

- For (company) Coded, documented, and tested (whatever it was)
application. "Spent over 50% of time creating user guides, programmer's
guides, technical guides for such-and-such product."
- Now, collect some samples of that work for a portfolio. If you don't
have samples, there are ways to get some. Offer to work on an open source
project doing some documentation (sourceforge.net is a good place to
start), or do some volunteer work. (There are reams of advice on Techwhrl
about this topic.)

When you finish, you should have a decent technical writing resume that
shows writing and editing skills along with programming skills.

This skill set is in demand!

When you get an interview, and are asked why you want to to technical
writing, just say that was your favorite part of all of your coding jobs (or
whatever reason places emphasis on the writing part of your job--growth,
interest, a way to make a difference for the customer, whatever!).

HTH,
--PT

PS: I taught technical writing to adult learners at the college level. I
think you have what it takes to reconfigure your experience to change to a
technical writing career, if your writing skills are good. Good luck!

On 7/9/07, Tony Horowitz <tonygh -at- verizon -dot- net> wrote:

> I have been working as a software developer for the last 12 years, and
> before that I worked as a college teacher for about the same length of time.
> I have excellent writing skills, and a lot of experience with explaining
> technical material with the needs of a particular audience in mind. I do not
> have any formal experience with technical writing, but I frequently drafted
> the content of user manuals when I was working as a developer, and proofread
> and edited existing manuals and online help systems. I think my general
> skills are well suited to the needs of technical writing, but I lack
> experience with the tools of the trade. (I do speak HTML, but only as a
> programmer does; and my experience presenting material in the classroom will
> of course need to be adapted to this new medium.)
>
> I would like to find employment as a tech writer. A friend who is a tech
> writer suggested that my experience as a programmer might make me
> particularly suited for documenting APIs. I would appreciate any advice
> people have to offer on how to find employers who might be particularly
> interested in my skills, and willing to take a chance on someone with very
> little experience. Thanks in advance for any responses.
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

PT
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList