Re: best practices for internal repository of published docs?

Subject: Re: best practices for internal repository of published docs?
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Sam TechWriter" <samtechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:22:49 -0400

Do you have an intranet available to you? We have published our docs in a
"library" format in WebHelp format to the company intranet. You could also
use Sharepoint or even a department Web site built with FrontPage or
Dreamweaver. This would allow you to add a search capability and an index.

It's worked pretty well for us. If you want details, let me know.

HTH,
--PT

On 7/11/07, Sam TechWriter <samtechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> I'm looking for best practices for storing published documents so our
> company employees can find them.
>
> Our current practice depends extensively on file shares, with backup
> copies in source control. Many of our releases contain many products; A-Z
> 2.0 could contain ABC, EFG, and XYZ (in this example HIJ and other
> products do not require updates for compatibility with 2.0). The final CDs
> combine software with documentation. If I want to update the XYZ 2.0 User
> Guide for the next CD build, I "drill down" through the 2.0 directory to
> find the XYZ folder, then copy the document there (overwriting any previous
> copy). When the A-Z CD is built (using scripts that point to the XYZ folder
> I put my document in), a copy of the build is placed in a separate
> directory.
>
> The result: Two directories, one containing the most recent "drop" from
> the documentation group and another containing copies of all CD builds. When
> we reach GA (general availability), that build is labeled "GA." Anyone in
> our company can easily locate the released CD contents, which include the
> published documents.
>
> This practice assumes that we'll never update the published documents,
> that every document is strictly related to a particular product, and that
> all documents are intended for the same audience. Recently we've created
> documents that defy these assumptions. Now we need to figure out where to
> put them. Internal folks wouldn't know how to find updated or
> multiple-product docs (such as an A-Z 2.0 doc) or docs intended for a
> limited audience - even worse, they might not even know they are available.
> Now that we've begun updating documents that are already on the CD (which
> cannot be changed), and producing documents that aren't strictly related to
> one product, I'm guessing that the-powers-that-be should roll out a new
> directory structure that doesn't carry these problematic assumptions.
>
> Would you agree?
>
> Remember - this question is limited to the internal repository. See my
> other message about getting the updated docs to the customer.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> "Sam TechWriter"

> that gives answers, not web links.
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

PT
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList