RE: Ethics of Jumping To Another Contract Job

Subject: RE: Ethics of Jumping To Another Contract Job
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 12:46:43 -0700

>Lauren Tariel wrote:
>>John Posada said:
>>
>>The rate was agreed on for the term that was agreed on. When the term
changes, >>why shouldn't the rate be considered?

>In my case, it was 1997 and rates were rising in the market. I agreed to
the short->term contract because it was not a job that I wanted to keep for
a longer term. When >rates went up, I wanted a raise.
[]
This really isn't anything that you can use as leverage. This is the same
as buying a house at a 10% interest rate and, when the rates drop, telling
your lien holder that you want to renegotiate the mortgage for a lower rate.
[]
>I began as one technical writer and more projects came in, so two new
writers were >added. I was the defacto lead and the project manager for all
of the documentation >projects. Project management and team leadership were
not in my original contract.

Now *this* is a bargaining chip.

>As it turns out, I had a medical issue that required the medical insurance
that the >company provided, so I didn't argue about the rate.

You've mentioned this previously and, unfortunately, this falls into the
'not a bargaining chip' pile. I worked with someone recently who wanted to
ask our director for a raise because he had incurred additional debt. I
could imagine our director saying, "Not my problem."
[]
>I think that now, if PM, or some other issue, comes up for a non-PM
contract, then I >will mention that we can re-write the contract and adjust
the rate accordingly, if that's >what the client wants.

Absolutely. It's all in the numbers. What's the going rate for a project
manager these days? $80,000? If your manager pays you an additional $5 per
hour, that's ~%10,000.

- Jim

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList