RE: Ethics of Jumping To Another Contract Job

Subject: RE: Ethics of Jumping To Another Contract Job
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 07:28:06 -0700

Perhaps, but it would seem to me that in the analogy below, the consumer
would become more of a desirable target to other lenders. It's the
difference between telling your lender "I'd like to pay you less money," and
telling a new lender "I'd like to pay you money."

But getting back to tech writing...the critical factors are time and
experience, which is what Ned stated in his post. In his example we're
looking at a contractor who may have been on the job for between six and 24
months. That's a huge amount of time, and the client will have indeed sunk
a great deal of money into the contractor teaching him or her 'the
business'. After 12 months I think any contractor should renegotiate their
contract. This is, after all, when permanent employees receive their merit
increases.

I believe Lauren's example was a three-month contract. If not, we can use
that as the example. As I said previously, unless the contractor was an
absolute superstar during those three months, I can't see renegotiating at
that time if all the contractor did was make good on the deliverables.

- Jim

>Gene Kim-Eng
>
>Actually, this happens all the time. When rates are falling I get several
offers a week >to refinance my mortgage at a lower rate, and my current
lender is usually right at >the head of the line, since they know exactly
what the current rates are and what my >current rate is. I've also
renegotiated credit balances by calling the bank and telling >them that I've
received an offer to transfer my balance to another card at a lower >rate.
The problem with your analogy is that in a market where rates are falling
the >roles are the reverse of what you think they are (the person with the
higher rate >becomes a desirable target to a lender who can refi the balance
at a lower rate and >still make a profit).