RE: What does the PMI teach?

Subject: RE: What does the PMI teach?
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Chris Borokowski'" <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:08:41 -0700

Regarding the test part of things, you are right. But the PMP exam does
require that a person show a few thousand hours of work on projects in the
last six years. Some applications are audited for honesty. One technical
writer that I worked with was pursuing a masters degree in project
management. The thought of that makes me queasy.

> I think Lauren should get a PMP cert because it will get her in the
> door at the larger places where her skills could best be applied. As
> with all certifications, it shouldn't be seen as proof of anything
> negative or positive: it's a hoop, and we citizens of this glorious
> republic must jump, or be dragged down into obscurity and
> food service.

Well that sums up my reasons. I am also in a competitive market that
occasionally requires PMP certification, so the little title can give me an
extra point or two. I'm just in a position where I can get the title
without much effort, provided that I do well on the test. 61% is a passing
score, I imagine that I can swing that. PMPs need to maintain the title
with some continuing education, though, so the certification does have the
image of some credibility.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList