Re: What does the PMI teach?

Subject: Re: What does the PMI teach?
From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 07:59:01 -0700 (PDT)

It's a certification.

Certifications exist when many people, most completely unqualified,
make a gold rush toward the It professions of the time.

You use an intro test, much like the SAT, as a basic filter to exclude
outright incompetents.

The PMP series exames/certs distinguish between people who have no hope
in hell of being project managers because they cannot follow simple
instructions, and those who may or may not be incompetent but can take
a test after an instructional regimen.

Is it worthless? Yes, to the right HR people, but those are so rare,
it's useful to have. Get a PMP and an MBA and you're en route to higher
management.

I think Lauren should get a PMP cert because it will get her in the
door at the larger places where her skills could best be applied. As
with all certifications, it shouldn't be seen as proof of anything
negative or positive: it's a hoop, and we citizens of this glorious
republic must jump, or be dragged down into obscurity and food service.

--- Richard Lewis <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> Can someone enlighten me as to what the PMI teaches? I attended
> a few of their meetings, but gave up going because I really could not
> see the value in what they offer.

http://technical-writing.dionysius.com/
technical writing | consulting | development

http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList