What does the PMI teach?

Subject: What does the PMI teach?
From: Richard Lewis <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:46:23 -0700 (PDT)

All:

Can someone enlighten me as to what the PMI teaches? I attended a few of their meetings, but gave up going because I really could not see the value in what they offer.

At the time I was creating the scope statement for a vary large federal government system, and I was curious as to what technique they would recommend for such a task. In asking a bunch of their members (including the chapter pres) how they would do this scoping, the response I got was "We (PM's) do not specify how a task like project scoping would be done; we only specify that it needs to be done" . None had any idea about how scoping of a software project (a major part of managing a software project) should be done.

This really perplexed me. I mean one can relatively quickly get a book or search the inter net and get a list of typical tasks done in a software project and just list them. That will not work because how the first steps are done in a project strongly determine the subsequent steps necessary. At any point in the project planning, what task is necessary is heavily dependent upon how the preceding tasks are going to be done.

"Where's the beef" in PMI?

Richard Lewis

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList