Re: Ikea method of technical writing (graphical instructions)

Subject: Re: Ikea method of technical writing (graphical instructions)
From: Jan Cohen <najnehoc -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:12:02 -0700 (PDT)

Illustrations can be very useful in clearing up any ambiguity in a set of instructions, especially when you're writing to a general audience. Some folks either don't like to use too many of them (or are told to keep them to minimal numbers) because they can greatly increase page count. In your case, perhaps an additional exploded view of the bottom of the draw lining up with the front piece might have helped.

I personally have always thought that the right mix of text and graphics can make for a set of very useful instructions, which can have very positive effects on consumer satisfaction and sales. As far as products for the general consumer are concerned, there's also what I consider the relatively new practice of ensuring all parts in a kit are properly labeled, *down to the screws and other small hardware*. I think it's fantastic, and it made it dummy-proof in my recent assembly of both a lawn cart and a yard sweeper for my lawn tractor.

In Ikea's case, I suspect they write the docs the way they do because of their large international customer base. Maybe it helps keep localization costs to a minimum.

jan cohen

"Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com> wrote: -----Original Message-----
The "Ikea method" of technical writing is underrated in some cases, but
not all.
----------

I can't say I'm always pleased with the "IKEA" method. :-) Not all of
us process graphical instructions easily.

I purchased a small wooden storage unit recently, and I had a moderately
difficult time following the pictorial instructions.

About 10 seconds too late, I realized that I'd put the shelf dividers in
too far and had already nailed them, so when you looked at it from the
front, there was a gap between the drawers.

I went back and check the instructions, and decided that 1) they had not indicated the proper alignment of the shelf in the instructions, and 2),
the routered groove for the shelves to slide in went back too far. The
natural tendency, for me at least, was to push the divider to the back
of the groove and then nail. Didn't realize the mistake until after I'd
nailed, and there really is no way to remove the small finishing nails
that were used.

So I have my drawer unit, which does exactly what I want it to do, but
which looks a bit goofy with the gaps between the drawers. Live and
learn. A few words such as "align the edge of the shelf with the front
of the case" might have prevented this problem. Then again, it could
just have been a faulty operator. :-)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList