RE: Ikea method of technical writing (graphical instructions)

Subject: RE: Ikea method of technical writing (graphical instructions)
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, <najnehoc -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:20:55 -0500

Oh, I know the localization costs are the reasons the instructions are
graphical... it can get incredibly expensive! (I manage translations
for our tech writing group, and we translate into 30 languages.)

The instructions looked to be almost hand-drawn line art, and not very
good at that. If the graphics had been of better quality, perhaps I
might not have made my mistake. I'm just happy it was on a $12 piece of
furniture, and not a $400 piece I bought from them!

In our docs, we use lots of supporting graphics for the text. Also, all
parts are clearly labeled, right down to the various types of screws.
In some cases, you could complete a procedure by looking at the graphics
alone, but that is never the intention. Text and graphics work together
to provide a complete "picture" for the end user.

-Carla