RE: Knowledge is manufactured?

Subject: RE: Knowledge is manufactured?
From: "technical writing plus" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 14:32:18 -0600

Have not been following this thread closely but still I have an opinion and
I'll share it.

When a team of writers creates a manual that is supposed to go with the
creation of the engineers of a company, that simple manual is not merely any
written thing. It is a specific piece of communication and it is important.

And the text (or copy), which contains the actual language that is supposed
to communicate with the readership, is not the only thing that the manual
contains.

It is a *formatted* thing, too. It contains important formatting. And it
might have pointers to other pieces that were or are being published by the
company. It might have illustrations, charts, and diagrams too.

The question 'How do we put this, how do we put that' shows you that the
language itself is a specialty, just like engineering is a specialty. The
formatting is a specialty. The other things are quite important specialties,
too. Jim Jones