RE: Knowledge is manufactured?

Subject: RE: Knowledge is manufactured?
From: Gause_Brian -at- emc -dot- com
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:11:59 -0400

I mean no offense to Lauren, but the existential theory of knowledge
(which I've studied before and rejected) is nonsense. As a philosopher
by education, I am compelled to respond. Surely you cannot believe this
argument and do not base your life on these principles...and for those
who do, bear with me a few moments...

To say "all knowledge is a first-person account of subjective
perceptions" reduces the power of reason to "a first-person
account"...which is uninformed and incorrect. This statement implies
that you can have knowledge of a false thing, which of course, cannot be
a valid definition for "knowledge". The implication of this invalid
statement means that we cannot build a theory of knowledge on this
definition.

To say "We call it knowledge when we can get another person to confirm
the contents of our heads by comparing our assessments" is also
incorrect. If I belief Mars is green, and can get someone else to
believe it, I've satisfied the requirements of this definition, yet you
still wouldn't call this "knowledge" or, for that matter, even "a true
statement". Knowledge isn't about getting someone else to confirm your
bogus thoughts, but about applying the rules of logical analysis.

The Existential theory of knowledge is a Straw Man argument intended to
confuse you. It is not "logically valid", and its conclusions are not
"true" in any sense of that word. It does not account for Psychology,
Neurobiology or anything we've learned about the brain over the past
century. Today, with tools like CAT scans and MRIs, researchers can
offer data that demonstrates the objective existence of a subjective
thought as it happens in your head. Because your brain activity can be
measured with scientific instruments, we have a tool, otherwise known as
objective evidence, showing that your subjective thought did, in fact,
exist. This gives new meaning to Descartes' "I think, therefore I am".

Knowledge is where "perception" meets "reason". The act of saying you
exist proves that you exist. It's really that simple.

If you want to believe that you can't prove things exist, and
specifically, that knowledge doesn't exist, you're welcome to believe
it...but you're handicapping your rational faculties before you even
begin.

Again, this is not aimed at you, Lauren, but as a general "slap-down" of
Existential theories of knowledge...which are just bogus and
frustrating.

When you base your beliefs on something other than "perception" and
"reason", you end up as confused as an Existentialist...in Philosophical
circles, existentialism is all but dead.

Brian Gause