RE: Outline numbering for headings

Subject: RE: Outline numbering for headings
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Jay Maechtlen'" <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net>, "'TechWrl list'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 21:05:30 -0700

> From: Jay Maechtlen

> Better to leave headings as a separate family, reduces changes of
> surprise and problems.
> I usually have each heading inherit from the one above it.
> Heading 1 may
> be different enough to belong in a different family than the rest of
> the headings.
> I don't necessarily want headers to change if I tweak body fonts.
> Of course, my body text usually uses a style called 'body text', which
> might or might not inherit from Normal.
> cheers
> Jay

Headings frequently have font overrides, but some of the other information
that is included with Normal should also be included with headings, such as
language, justification, line spacing, and other paragraph behavior like
widow/orphan control. Some of this information does not need to be a part
of a heading, but Normal is where a lot of global information is usually
stored.

Different people have their own favorite techniques. I prefer to use many
of Word's defaults because it saves time when I create a new template for a
new client. I used to create templates that used inheritance in headings,
but there were too many difficulties when other people would work with the
documents and it took some time to make the changes to all of the headings.
Most of my employers don't want to pay for a template, just the
documentation.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList