RE: Quote of the Day

Subject: RE: Quote of the Day
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Jim Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:54:54 -0600

Jim Barrow wrote:

> That's one possibility. In my case the developers mistakenly
> believe that they would be able to produce required
> documentation from the JavaDoc tool. I don't mean that they
> think they can generate their comments, I mean they think
> they would be able to generate fully-formatted,
> ready-for-publication documents, replete with graphics, TOC,
> headers and footers.

They probably can. Maybe not the graphics. And maybe with
"ready-for-publication" interpreted a bit loosely. But creating a PDF
from Javadoc isn't rocket science. They can probably create a
serviceable PDF, complete with headers, footers, and TOC, that includes
all the classes, methods, and fields, shows the class hierarchy, etc.

The problem is that the only explanations of anything will be their
sucky comments. Complete with misspellings, useless descriptions,
cloning errors, ...

Here's an example from the National Institute of Standards and
Technology's Javadoc pages for JAIN-SIP, an API for IP telephony
signaling -- a few method descriptions for
gov.nist.javax.sdp.fields.ConnectionField:

getNetworkType()
Returns the type of the network for this Connection.
setAddress(ConnectionAddress a)
Set the address member
setAddress(java.lang.String addr)
Sets the type of the address for this Connection.
setAddressType(java.lang.String type)
Returns the type of the network for this Connection.
setAddrType(java.lang.String a)
Set the addrtype member
setNettype(java.lang.String n)
Set the nettype member
setNetworkType(java.lang.String type)
Sets the type of the network for this Connection.

Notice how most of the descriptions merely restate the method name (IME,
that's all that 90% of the descriptions in Javadocs do). The exception
is setAddressType, which has the same description as getNetworkType.
Oops.

This is why software developers are so fond of code examples and
O'Reilly "Nutshell" books -- the reference documentation available to
them generally sucks.

(FYI, the NIST IP telephony project is at
http://www-x.antd.nist.gov/proj/iptel/.)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs