HELP, my g-mail address has been "hijacked"!!

Subject: HELP, my g-mail address has been "hijacked"!!
From: "Kathleen MacDowell" <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:41:53 -0500

Please forgive me for cross-posting this message, but I belong to a number
of TW/TC lists and want to make sure that no one happens to receive a phony
email with my address.

I had several emails in my g-mail spam box that had my address on them. The
only difference was that the first letter was capitalized (mine is all lower
case). As someone has pointed out, this doesn't mean that my gmail account
has been compromised. I just don't want anyone to be infected with malware
because they opened an email they thought was from a list member.

I don't know how this happened, because I don't visit very many sites and
have McAfee.

At any rate, if anyone has a solution, please let me know. I'm guessing
that the only thing I can do is change my email address. But I'm concerned
about all the mail I've received from various list members. One of the major
drawbacks of an account where everything is stored.

Also, I've tried to contact Google to let them know and/or see if they have
any suggestions. There is no email contact and no direct contact information
listed anywhere. So far as I've been able to tell, no phone line (I called
the main number and heard a list of only departments for paid services, such
as advertising. I suppose that might be expected for a "free" service, but
they're hiding their head in the sand if they ignore this type of issue.) So
if anyone knows of a way to contact them, please forward that to me.

For the moment I'm stopping my forwarding from kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com,
so please reply to that address.

Apologies to everyone (not that I did anything, it just feels horrible to be
a "bearer of bad tidings.")

Aaaargh

--
Kathleen MacDowell