RE: Checking code (was: Software engineer tech. writers? )

Subject: RE: Checking code (was: Software engineer tech. writers? )
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 07:21:15 -0500

-----Original Message-----
Sandy wrote:
If you do check code this way, what should you do with your results?
I considered passing them on to the programming manager, but did not do
it. I figured as a contractor and "only" a tech writer, it was not a
good idea to stir things up that way.
----------

Ditto on Geoff's comments. As a writer, I consider it part of my job to
point out any areas that *may* cause problems for the end user. We
(technical communicators) are user advocates and often see things
differently than an engineer or programmer will.

The best way to approach this situation would be to go to either the
TechPubs/Programming/Engineering manager (whomever you feel is
appropriate) and ask them,

"I see some areas in the code/product that might cause problems for the
end user. Would you like me to document these and forward them to you?"

If they say "No," then you have your answer, and you may just want to
keep a list for your own reference. If they say "Yes," this is your
chance to shine and show them that you do more than just "write the
manual." It could lead to bigger and better things! (or extended
contracts, or full-time offers...)

-Carla
Cmartinek-at|zebra*com

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList