RE: Tips for finding and hiring the right Technical Writer

Subject: RE: Tips for finding and hiring the right Technical Writer
From: "John Rosberg" <jrosberg -at- interwoven -dot- com>
To: "SB" <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:11:14 -0500

The best hiring tip I've ever heard remains:

"Hire for attitude, train for skills."

This does not mean that you should hire an illiterate, and teach em how
to read and write -- it does suggest that you avoid the common pitfall
of specing the job unrealistically -- things to avoid include:

- calling out specific software expertise -- if they know Arbor, they
can figure out Frame

- getting hung up on specific amounts of experience -- if they are six
months shy of your target experience amount (4.5 vs. 5 years, for
instance), and everything else looks good, be flexible

As for some of your other questions:

- ad writing -- what would attract YOU? An honest description of the
work, the environment, the potential contribution, room for growth, easy
commute, free coffee, company's place in the market . . . all of these
things can help attract a good writer

- formatting -- tough to tell if the person is unskilled or simply
working in an environment that doesn't value formatting -- if you have a
template, and a standard issue writer can use it, it becomes a non-issue

- tests are of variable value -- make sure you administer the identical
test to all applicants, if you use one, and check with HR folks as to
the legal use of tests (in the USA)

- recommendations -- things have gotten wonky here -- most employers
will simply tell you that employee X worked for em from Y to Z dates,
and little else -- if you've networked locally, you may be able to find
someone that knows the candidate and their work -- offer that someone a
frosty beverage of their choice for their input

- KNOWING that this is the right person -- never happen -- it's always a
bit of a crap shoot, but your skill at guessing will improve with use

As for your other questions:

- if you haven't already, Id' suggest joining the STC -- they can be a
bit pedantic and one-size-fits-all, but they do have good data on all
your topics of interest -- ask local colleagues (offer coffee or a beer
after hours)

- post a specific question on this list -- taken together, yours
questions resemble a request for a Vulcan Mind Meld, and may be
difficult to answer in this venue

As a manager, your job is simply to create an environment where your
folks can do their best in solving the company's business needs

Management can be a gas, if you like it --

Hope this helps

rosberg