RE: Do we need separate training guides?

Subject: RE: Do we need separate training guides?
From: "John Rosberg" <jrosberg -at- interwoven -dot- com>
To: "Daniel Ng" <kjng -at- gprotechnologies -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 07:59:36 -0500

While I'm sure that there ARE improvements to be made (if it was made,
it can be improved), please keep in mind that Tech Docs and Training are
not at all interchangeable.

While the core data may be similar or identical, training guides should
be designed to accompany a specific learning experience (instructor led
or self-guided), and can be very specific as to scenarios, what the
student will see and what is expected.

Docs, on the other hand, live in the real world, where entropy is
winning -- you cannot accurately predict with what the reader will be
faced, what the most appropriate response should be, or even if they are
looking at the portion of the product you expect.

About the closest to training materials that docs get are tutorials (in
some shops).

There are certainly opportunities for a good single sourcing methodology
- two branches are the answer, I believe, but help for execs seems less
than entirely useful -- one never knows who is doing what, even in a
union shop.

Please let us know what the outcome is -- an interesting problem!

rosberg