Re: Technical Writing Certifications

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Certifications
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:30:18 -0400

It would be a worthy goal, but certification in many fields is
complicated by the very issues that have kept us "uncertified" for so
long. No need to rehash all the arguments, but it's true that the
quality component of any certification is always problematic. Who
defines what is "quality"? Hours alone won't do it. Examinations alone
won't do it. Degrees can't even do it. Certification is no guarantee of
quality. I have worked a variety of "certified" professionals over many
years to whom quality was a foreign concept. Yet they had paid their
money, jumped through some administrative hoops, spent the requisite
hours, taken the training, and proudly framed the certificate. I agree
with Peter.
--Beth

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList