RE: Inflammable vs. flammable

Subject: RE: Inflammable vs. flammable
From: "Tariel, Lauren R" <lt34 -at- saclink -dot- csus -dot- edu>
To: <brianlindgren -at- aol -dot- com>, <RHearn -at- cucbc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 14:41:39 -0700

What should become of language when common errors are accepted in general usage?
E.g.: http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/supercede

Language does change on its own and many terms lose their meanings, gain new meanings, and sometimes become profane over time. These are changes through usage of terms. But complacency to errors seems like it might have an effect of turning a language that we understand into babble. We know that we will not suddenly stop understanding one another because our language becomes convoluted with erroneous terms and multiple meanings, but what will English of today become in a few hundred years? A lost language?

Lauren