FrameMaker graphics #2

Subject: FrameMaker graphics #2
From: Ami WRIGHT <ami -at- ziplink -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 22:39:47 -0400

Hi everyone,

This is a continuation of this tread:
http://www.techwr-l.com/archives/0707/techwhirl-0707-00632.html

The quotes below are from people who responded to the previous post.

Lauren <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu> wrote:

>* Resize the cropped image in PSP to something as small as possible, but
>still readable.

I'm going to recommend NOT resizing in Paint Shop Pro. If you resize in
Paint Shop Pro and you want to replace the image, you need to resize the
new image in exactly the same way. If you're slightly off, then the new
image looks weird in FrameMaker. We need to re-do every screen shot during
the translation process. Making that process as easy as possible is pretty
high on my list of priorities.

Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

>I've learned to distrust the PNG. They're big and don't appear to look
>any better than JPGs, but at least they're copyright free (as if anyone
>important cares).

It probably depends on what you're working with. In my tests, the PNG files
were significantly smaller than the JPG files, and they also looked better.
Also, switching from 24-bit JPG to 8-bit PNG reduced the size of the
resulting PDF file by more than half. Reducing the size of the PDF files is
also pretty high on my list of priorities.

Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

>For FrameMaker users:
>http://wiki.webworks.com/HelpCenter/Tips/BestQualityGraphics

A useful link, but some of the recommendations make re-doing the screen
shots for translation problematic.

Brierley, Sean <Sean -dot- Brierley -at- ipc -dot- com> wrote:

>There's an article on the techwr-l Website about screen captures, called
>Screen Captures 102.pdf.

Well, worth reading. A gold star for this one. It's currently located here:
http://technical-writing.dionysius.com/resources/Screen_Captures_102-v1.1.pdf

>This is irrelevant. Make the dialog box as small as you can before you
>take the screen capture. Import into FrameMaker. Adjust the resolution
>in FrameMaker to fit your text column, using a dpi setting in FM and NOT
>the % or any other method.

Yup, that's the conclusion that I've come to.

"The filenames for graphics do not need to reflect the
language (same filename regardless of the language, but they'll be in
different directories)"

Sean Brierley wrote:
>I don't understand.

If we have an English version of a screen shot called ?one.png,? the same
screen shot would have the same name in any other language. You keep from
overwriting the English one by putting each language version in a different
directory. What we are NOT going to do is have oneEN.png, oneFR.png,
oneJP.png, etc.

Brierley wrote:
>You dated an Englishman? <grin>

Who I dated is off-topic for techwr-l. :-)

Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com> wrote:

>Never, ever get rid of your originals, unless you want big headaches down
>the road.

Yah, several people made the same point, although most were considerably
more wordy about it.

-Ami

Ami Wright
"Technical" tech writer