Anyone had problems with the Help in Doc-To-Help?

Subject: Anyone had problems with the Help in Doc-To-Help?
From: Tim Mantyla <TimMantyla -at- nustep -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 09:06:25 -0400

I've been evaluating a trial of Doc-To-Help (D2H), and I'm having trouble
with their online Help. A few examples:

- There is no glossary of terms. (Ironically, this app creates a glossary
for the online help it generates!) Terms I put into their "natural search"
function, like "string," "unresolved link," are explained deep inside
topics that have to be brought up one by one. The topic titles rarely
reveal which topic holds the definition or explanation of the term.

- It's very abstract in many places, and doesn't show examples how to do
things in many areas, or callouts to point out what terms are being used
where.

- Many of the help topics have few pictures to show what they're referring
to.

- Help looks like it was written largely by software experts who don't
always step well into in the shoes of the users.

Are these deficiencies common to help systems for other HATs? Which ones
are best and worst?

Is there another app that does things like Doc-To-Help, but with better
online help? Has anyone used several Word-based HATs and can help compare
them?

Or could this be a sinister plot by the D2H powers that be to increase
revenue by driving users directly to their training?

D2H is great because it uses Word, my company's "native" app for many
potential D2H users. A poor help system is a significant downside.

Tim Mantyla

PS: Would a user poll on the best and worst features of various HATs be
useful to you?

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList