Re: TECHWR-L considered harmful

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L considered harmful
From: brianlindgren -at- aol -dot- com
To: neilson -at- windstream -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:48:55 -0500

Sometimes people don't set out to be tech writers but have it thrust upon them by upper management. I find that very often managers don't understand the value of a good technical writer, or they certainly don't know how to hire, presuming that anyone who majored in either English or journalism would by default be a technical writing candidate.

I think the "worthless" crop went out in the mid-1990s. When PCs became essential tools on everyone's desktop in the 1989-1994 era, the value of tech writers went down because as the word processor began to disappear, management thought anyone with a PC was a writer. Soon afterwards came the realization that technical communication has a certain skillset and value.

Nonetheless, there are still those who are tasked to do it unwittingly or unwillingly. I see this list as just one means to help such individuals -- as well as others who just want an occasional?sanity check.