Image file manipulation program?

Subject: Image file manipulation program?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:04:28 -0500

I'm seeking recommendations for a program to modify bitmaps (photos,
jpg, bmp... the usual suspects).

It should be more capable than the Paint program that comes with
Windows, but much more slim and compact than The GIMP or Photoshop.

It should have Windows and Linux versions, because I switch back and
forth a lot and want the same user interface.

If it's FLOSS, that's nice, but not a deal-breaker if it's not.

If it's free-as-in-beer, that's very nice, but I'll spring some cash for
something that comes solidly recommended.

I want it to have your recommendation because you've been using it and
you're a respected member of this esteemed institution... er, I mean,
list.

Google produces a large boat-load of potentially suitable candidates.
I'm hoping the experience of the list denizens can help weed out the
lame and dangerous, so I can look at a few gems (i.e., avoid
re-inventing this particular wheel).

The availability of scads of capability in a tool is all very nice, but
I'm tired of waiting more than a minute while The GIMP loads modules,
before I can start tweaking a photo. It's also something of a resource
hog.

The most common activities I perform are lightening/darkening, cropping,
removing the background from behind a piece of irregularly-shaped
equipment I've just photographed. Maybe a little dodging to highlight
specific parts and features (always useful when the equipment in
question is black-on-black-with-black...), adding callout arrows or
action/motion indicators (basically big red arrows).

Among all the thousands of you intrepid technical communicators are a
few who know what I mean and who have already found just the right tool.

Sound off.

Thanks,

Kevin

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList