Certifications in the IT industry

Subject: Certifications in the IT industry
From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:03:21 -0800 (PST)

However an area that has not received the same literary attention has
been on the the declining ability of IT professionals to differentiate
themselves from their peers. We have traditionally done this by seeking
out and stockpiling technical certifications to attach to our resumes.
The principle being that the more Microsoft, Cisco, Novel, etc?
certifications one obtained the better positioned we were for the good
paying jobs. Yes experience is the true test of our abilities but it
was often the number of certifications that initially got us that first
interview.

However, what happens when these certifications flood the market and
now countless thousands of Asian IT professionals seek and gain these
same certifications but offer their services at a much lower cost. The
answer is that these certifications become commoditized in a flooded
market.

This trend then puts pressure on individuals and organizations looking
to differentiate their workforce and services to find new badges and
certificates to obtain.

http://blogs.pinkelephant.com/index.php?/troy/the_rising_wave_of_enterprise_it_certifications/

He blames globalization which may be true but I think this was
happening a long time ago, starting in the 1990s, maybe about 1997 when
suddenly everyone and their dog was a web developer.

http://technical-writing.dionysius.com/
technical writing | consulting | development

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList