Re: IE7 has no back button in popups

Subject: Re: IE7 has no back button in popups
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 01:36:28 -0500

Perhaps the point, from a TW perspective, is that Microsoft seems to be
on an interface-changing spree. We all know how irritating that is for
the user. After years of having common elements in certain places in IE
and MS Word, for example, we now have to relearn these applications. We
come to expert certain behaviors from the software, and when it behaves
differently, it trips us up. These are not intuitive changes, or we'd be
able to find them. The MS Office function ribbon is supposedly designed
to be more helpful, WYGIWYS as Jakob Nielsen puts it. But there's a
performance drop while you get used to it.

We've had personal computers for more than 25 years now. There are no
more "beginners" where computers are concerned, so why do companies like
Microsoft feel they need to dumb everything down? Is anyone actually
designing an intuitive, performance-supportive interface, or are they
all just doing what they like and we have to get used to it?
--Beth

Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication
Seneca College, Toronto