RE: Flare does not import PDFs -- any workarounds?

Subject: RE: Flare does not import PDFs -- any workarounds?
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:56:05 -0700

Cardimon, Craig wrote:

> I can suck UserGuide.pdf into RH6 and do what I need to do.
> Then I can export to Word and convert back to PDF. Done.

and:

> PDF is much more than an output format now. It is also an
> input format.
> It is here, anyway. A whole new beginning.

Surely, you don't mean that (or is it "Shirley, you don't mean that"?).
UserGuide.pdf wasn't *authored* in Acrobat, was it?

I'm saying that if UserGuide was *authored* in Word, then UserGuide.doc
should have been preserved as a valuable corporate resource, not
discarded once the PDF was generated. When UserGuide needs updating, it
should be done by editing a copy of UserGuide.doc (the previous version
should be saved) and generating a new PDF from it.

I didn't know you could import PDFs into RH X5 or 6 (haven't used them),
but I'm not surprised there were conversion problems. As a standard
practice, I stand by my strong recommendation that you treat PDFs as
outputs and safeguard the source files from which they're created.

In emergencies, when the source file is no longer available, you can
(with the full version of Acrobat) save the PDF as an RTF or DOC file,
and open that in Word. I'd think that would be cleaner than passing it
through RH or Flare first.

Or save it as TXT or HTML, and open it in just about anything. :-)

Good luck!
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs