RE: Grammar Q

Subject: RE: Grammar Q
From: "Chesler, Lynn" <lchesler -at- auspicecorp -dot- com>
To: "'Roy Jacobsen'" <royj -at- writingclearandsimple -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:28:58 -0500 (EST)

I just have to put in my 2 cents. I like "you"; however, I didn't always
feel this way. I used to go out of my way to avoid it because I thought it
sounded odd.

Now I just love it. I think it adds a level of familiarity and
conversation to what might otherwise be a very dry document. I am
currently editing a documentation set that was written by the engineers,
many of whom went out of the way to avoid the word "you" by overusing the
passive voice.

Like so much of writing, it's a matter of preference. I think that as long
as we're clear and write to our audience, we have some latitude. As a lone
writer, I get to write the style guide, which makes it more fun for me.
Hee, hee, hee.

Lynn