RE: employment law, overtime

Subject: RE: employment law, overtime
From: "Chesler, Lynn" <lchesler -at- auspicecorp -dot- com>
To: "'Allan Ackerson'" <alackerson -at- msn -dot- com>, "'Jay Maechtlen'" <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net>, "'TechWrl list'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:17:07 -0500 (EST)

Exempt (salaried) and Nonexempt (hourly) are defined by the Federal Fair
Labor Standards Act (FSLA). Whether you are exempt or nonexempt under the
law relates to the specific duties you perform in your job. While I can't
speak for California (which tends to go off in its own direction), I can
say that if you are using professional judgment as described in the
statute, you qualify as exempt and therefore are not entitled to overtime.

Regarding the government contracts, the government might be tying specific
tasks to a specific title and the title of tech writer might not be
considered a "professional" position and therefore entitled to overtime.
This is just a guess.

The buckets described by the FSLA are somewhat subjective, and a tech
writer as defined by one company or the government can be doing very
different work from a tech writer as defined by another company. You need
to look at the language of statute and assess it against the tasks of your
own job.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/flsa/

Lynn
(an attorney who is not currently practicing and is not giving legal
advice)