Re: employment law, overtime

Subject: Re: employment law, overtime
From: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net>
To: TechWrl list <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Jay Maechtlen <jay -at- laserpubs -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:16:43 -0800

Jay Maechtlen wrote:

Well, I thought I wrote it, anyway.
Sorry about the previous messages - it seems that various stuff was
hiding in HTML format- I took it into Notepad, and reduced it to text.

This may be of interest to those in the US who work unpaid overtime.

It was written:

"... I informed my manager that I will not work 80 hours a week as
a rule. They'll get the usual crazy OT out of me at milestones and
deadlines, but I will no longer give my company two writers for the
cost of one. That may sound horrible to you, but I spent a decade
working nutty hours, and all I got was sickness, no social life, and
less money per hour. ;-) How will upper management ever feel the
pain if we writers continue to perform miracles? My boss not only
agrees with me, he was horrified to think I'd consider anything
else. I hope your manager is as understanding."

Recently we had a talk at our local STC chapter regarding work rules,
hours, etc.<br>
It develops that we techwriters are entitled to overtime compensation
in nearly all cases.
Unless the writer is also the boss, overtime rules apply.
At least, that's the case in California.
I believe it applies nationwide. If your company compensates properly,
you writers should be making a bucket of money!
Overtime compensation is not just a nice idea, it is the law.

--
Jay Maechtlen
626 444-5112 office

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList