Re: Grammar Q

Subject: Re: Grammar Q
From: louise -dot- r -dot- stevanovic -at- transport -dot- qld -dot- gov -dot- au
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:39:01 +1000

Hi all

I appreciated the discussion about the merits, or otherwise, of using 'you'
in documentation. I had a similar discussion (okay, argument) with a fellow
technical writer not so long ago about the same topic. I generally use the
imperative, but there are some occasions where using 'you' is the simplest
solution and doesn't seem condescending (to me anyway). It also makes it
clear that the user has to do the action, rather than it being an automated
action (and it fits in with the Plain English Guidelines we are required to
use).

I'd be interested to hear how those of you who never use 'you' would reword
sentences that provide options, reminders or information rather than
imperatives, such as the following:

You will be prompted to update the document history whenever you
save the document as a new version.

The IMD toolbar is displayed in the bottom left of the screen. You
can move it anywhere on the screen.

If you insert captions, remember to update the lists under the
Figures and Tables headings.

The last paragraph mark contains formatting for that document, so
if you copy it, it can overwrite the formatting in the document
you paste into.

Thanks
Louise Stevanovic
Technical Writer
Strategy & Architecture Office

WARNING: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain legally
privileged, confidential or private information and may be protected by
copyright. You may only use it if you are the person(s) it was intended
to be sent to and if you use it in an authorised way. No one is
allowed to use, review, alter, transmit, disclose, distribute, print
or copy this e-mail without appropriate authority.

If this e-mail was not intended for you and was sent to you by mistake,
please telephone or e-mail me immediately, destroy any hardcopies of
this e-mail and delete it and any copies of it from your computer
system. Any right which the sender may have under copyright law, and
any legal privilege and confidentiality attached to this e-mail is not
waived or destroyed by that mistake.

It is your responsibility to ensure that this e-mail does not contain
and is not affected by computer viruses, defects or interference by
third parties or replication problems (including incompatibility with
your computer system).

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads, Queensland
Transport or Maritime Safety Queensland, or endorsed organisations
utilising the same infrastructure.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList