Re: employment law, overtime

Subject: Re: employment law, overtime
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TechWrl list" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:38:38 -0800

As a 1099 contractor, unless you have signed a fixed-price
contract, all your work is usually billed at straight time for
the exact number of hours worked. Employment laws don't
apply in the first place because you're a vendor, so exempt/
nonexempt is not an issue, it's whatever the client will pay
for. OTOH, if your contract specifice 40 hours and no
more without authorization, it's a two-way street, because
while they can't be made to pay you for additional hours
you aren't on the hook to work them.

But if you want to be on the "safe side," I would require
a signoff on hours beyond the contracted number *before*
I worked them.

Gene Kim-Eng