Re: employment law, overtime

Subject: Re: employment law, overtime
From: Gregory P Sweet <gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, techwr-l-bounces+gps03=health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:48:59 -0500

> So let me ask this: What would a union provide that a person can't get
> themselves?

Oh I dunno, job security, better pay/benefits vacation, power-in-numbers
come to mind right away.
But apparently the prevailing attitude these days is that the union is of
no benefit and employers are laughing all the way to the bank on it.
I've never been asked to work more than 40 hours in a week in a union shop,
however in the one nonunion gig I had the vice president of the department
told me out-right that I "made too much money" to only work 40 hours a week
and had better start putting in 70 or 80 or else. So there, I piped up with
the exception to that one, too.

I may not always be happy with my union but I staunchly support it and
believe I am far better of with it than with out. Previously I was a member
of the International Brotherhood of Elevator Constructors who had very
strict rules about job titles and scope of work. The also provided
world-class training to ensure that anyone who held the rank of elevator
mechanic really knew their sh*t. Some might have saw that as red-tape.
Others, myself included saw that for what it was, achieving the leverage to
negotiate a better deal by ensure a highly-skilled work force.

Let me ask this, if unions are so pointless and ineffectual why do
corporations like WalMart spend millions on anti-union activities including
surveillance vans for each store and a union-busting fast-response team
with it's own private jet?

Gregory P. Sweet
Proud member of CSEA Local 316/AFSCME Local 1000

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList