Including PDF Bookmarks for Tables and Figures

Subject: Including PDF Bookmarks for Tables and Figures
From: "Sam Beard" <sbeard -at- oico -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:20:13 -0600

All,

I'm using Frame 7.2 on Win XP with Acrobat 8 Pro.

I'm wondering about including bookmarks in the PDF for tables and
figures. We deliver our documents only in PDF format, and a LOT of our
text references tables and figures. Plus, there is a LOT of
configuration information and other such things in these figures and
tables. On top of that, our technical support folks would probably refer
someone to a specific table or figure when they call in for support. So,
with all of that said, I'd like to include bookmarks for tables and
figures in the PDF so that they show up, along with the chapter headings
and such, along the side of the file when it's opened in Reader or
Acrobat. Ideally, they'd need to be nestled, automatically, inside the
chapter bookmarks, at the very least. So, here's what it would look
like, if I can get what I want:

Chapter 1 Blah, blah, blah

Heading 1 blah, blah, blah

Heading 2 blah, blah, blah

Table 1.1 Some table
title

Figure 1.1 Some figure
title

Heading 3 blah, blah, blah

Table 1.2 Some other
table title

Figure 1.2 Some other
figure title

Heading 2 blah, blah, blah

Table 1.3 Yet some other
table title.....

.....and so on. Is this something that can be done automatically, either
in settings inside the PDF setup box in Frame or through Adobe Acrobat?

Thanks much in advance!

Samuel I. Beard, Jr.

Technical Writer

OI Analytical