RE: Including PDF Bookmarks for Tables and Figures

Subject: RE: Including PDF Bookmarks for Tables and Figures
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Sam Beard" <sbeard -at- oico -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:50:34 -0700

Sam Beard wrote:

> I'm wondering about including bookmarks in the PDF for
> tables and figures. We deliver our documents only in PDF
> format, and a LOT of our text references tables and figures.
> Plus, there is a LOT of configuration information and other
> such things in these figures and tables. On top of that, our
> technical support folks would probably refer someone to a
> specific table or figure when they call in for support. So,
> with all of that said, I'd like to include bookmarks for
> tables and figures in the PDF so that they show up, along
> with the chapter headings and such, along the side of the
> file when it's opened in Reader or Acrobat. Ideally, they'd
> need to be nestled, automatically, inside the chapter
> bookmarks, at the very least. <snip>

Sounds like a pretty good idea. And easy enough to do. Did you create
the existing bookmark setup? If so, just add the table and figure
caption pgfs at the appropriate indent level. If not, maybe a little
more detail is called for. :-)

1) In the book window, select all files, and then select Format >
Document > PDF Setup.

2) On the Bookmarks tab of the PDF Setup dialog box, take a minute to
study the Include Paragraphs box and understand what's going on.

The pgf formats listed in that box are the pgfs from which bookmarks
will be created. Their left-right indent determines their nesting order
(the first six indent levels are shown visually, with a dot for each;
after that, they're numbered). The arrows on either side of Bookmark
Level (below the list) move the selected pgf left or right.

3) In the Don't Include box, find your figure caption pgf and
double-click it to move it to the Include list. Repeat with your table
caption pgf.

4) In the Include list, select the figure caption pgf and use the
Bookmark Level right arrow to move it one position to the right of the
lowest heading level in the list. Repeat for the table caption pgf.

5) Click Set.

You're done. The next time you crank out a PDF, the figure and table
captions should appear in the bookmark pane, nested under the preceding
heading.

At this point, you may look at it and begin reconsidering how wordy your
captions should be. ;-)

HTH!
Richard

------