RE: know your ... who?

Subject: RE: know your ... who?
From: Gause_Brian -at- emc -dot- com
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:12:20 -0500

You could get to know your readers by creating a page on your company
website where customers can gather and talk in a forum.

Or you could create a email distribution list where customers and
writers can share ideas.

Or you can create an email account in your domain for users to send
documentation feedback.

If your company is large enough, you might have an annual tech
conference where customers and employees interact. If your company is
not large enough, you might still attend a tech conference relating to
your industry.

There are definitely ways to interact with your users. I've listed four
that quickly come to mind.

When you use words like "I will never", then your words becomes
self-fulfilling. "I will never meet them. I will never talk to them. I
will never correspond with them via e-mail."

Well, not with that attitude, you won't...

I know you're chuckling to yourself about others who talk about "know
your reader", but I'm shaking my head at writers who should know better
than to use words like "never", and give up on customer-contact before
it even begins.

Maybe your message was intended to be funny, but what it says about your
work habits and creativity is a dispiriting notion, indeed.

Brian Gause

Technical Writer