Re: Word to the wise

Subject: Re: Word to the wise
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:57:00 -0600

Right ON!

Now, if I had only gotten the response to #2 that you show here. The
response I got was like this:

Mr. Developer: No, you don't need access to the application. I gave you the
screen shots, so why can't you do it from that? That's all you need."

Tech Writer: "I'm sorry, I can't document something I can't see and don't
have access to."

Mr. Developer: "It's too much of a risk to give you access to the app. Just
document the screen shots."

Tech Writer: "I'm sorry, I can't validate what I write, so I can't be sure
of the accuracy of the documentation. I need access to the app, if nothing
more than to look at the windows, so I can document the app. "

Mr. Developer: Silence. No responses to e-mails.

Tech Writer (to boss): "Please ask Mr. Developer to give me access to the
app! "

Boss: Silence. No response to e-mails or questions.

Tech Writer: "All Righty then! See you! I got another job!"

That's my story :-)

After months of struggling, I gave up.

PT

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
wrote:

> Dead-on accurate. Often many people are too quick to bend or too
> careful not to disappoint (and then disappoint when they can't deliver
> as promised). Speak up, make your needs known, and always say "no"
> when "yes" isn't the correct answer.
>
> WRONG:
> Mgr: I need you to document this app that will ship in 4 weeks. Here's
> a copy of Word. Ted can get you screen shots.
> Writer: Um, ok.
>
> CORRECT:
> Mgr: I need you to document this app that will ship in 4 weeks. Here's
> a copy of Word. Ted can get you screen shots.
> Writer: Four weeks is very tight. What exactly are you looking for,
> since a comprehensive guide is out of the question in that time frame.
> Also, I will need X, Y, Z tools by tomorrow if you want me to meet the
> 4 week deadline. I appreciate Ted's help, but I need access to the
> live app in order to correctly document it. I'll submit a PO for the
> software to your attention right now. Let's expedite that, and in the
> meantime I'll work with Ted to ensure I have unrestricted access to
> the app, as well as gather and read the specifications and internal
> documentation to learn about the app. If we can get the tool keys in
> by tomorrow afternoon, I should be able to hit the ground typing first
> thing on the morning after tomorrow, and will send drafts out for
> review every Friday and Tuesday to ensure we're on track and the
> information is accurate.
>
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:
> > Better solution: don't tell the penny-pinchers that
> > it's even possible to do this stuff with Notepad.
>
> --
> Bill Swallow
> Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter
> STC Single-Sourcing SIG Manager
> http://techcommdood.blogspot.com
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList<http://www.doctohelp.com/TechwrlList>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

"Life is short, but there is always time enough for courtesy."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList