When all they ever wanted was ....but we gave them a tree

Subject: When all they ever wanted was ....but we gave them a tree
From: "Daniel Ng" <kjng -at- gprotechnologies -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:21:39 +0800

Our customers are factory production workers. They don't speak english very
much other than management. The management is of course part of a much
larger organization. We write software solutions for their organization and
used on the floor. Some of these workers will need to do some maintenance on
the system. I've been writing books of maintenance and software how to's,
help systems, indexed, just like what microsoft, apple or ibm does, in that
style.

I discovered that our project deployment engineers, find it very hard
unusable to teach a factory worker, non-english speaking worker how to do a
few of these tasks regularly when the stuff is all written and diagrammed in
english and maybe chinese and there is cross-referencing and all that
written in a sort of generic manner.

In fact, all they need is a one page instruction sheet for each role or
responsible. What buttons to press, and the schedule of when to do that.
they don't need to know why or what else they migth need to do in an
eventuality of something different happening. its a moot point.

what do you think

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList