RE: Word 2003 so-o-o-o-o slo-o-o-o-ow

Subject: RE: Word 2003 so-o-o-o-o slo-o-o-o-ow
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 14:05:31 -0400

Well, I got to Barbara's suggestion before yours, so I did essentially
the same thing by deleting the graphic elements one-at-a-time to see
what happened.

Naturally, it is the company-supplied page-background graphic that is
the culprit.

The entire document is (still only) 1935KB, all-in. I don't consider
that big.
Taking out just the product photo reduces it to 1741KB and does not
affect the slowdown.
Taking out just the first-page background graphic gets rid of the
slowdown and reduces the Word file size from 1935KB to 823KB. That's a
significant difference with respect to the overall document size, but
it's relatively INsignificant with respect to the sizes of documents I
often have open in Word. So, why would Word care?

Also, I've got a decent video card with plenty of video memory, so I
don't see rendering for display of page 1 being a colossal drain on
resources.
So, what gives?
I expected, by now, that a few of the people who always chime in with
how good Word is if you only take the time to understand it... would
have chimed in with the proper approach to get around this little
annoyance.

Cheers,

Kevin

or disclosing it.