RE: Replacing "master" and "slave" terminology

Subject: RE: Replacing "master" and "slave" terminology
From: Karen Mulholland <kemulholland -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Andrew Warren <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:58:23 -0700 (PDT)

--- Andrew Warren <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com> wrote:

> Right, but that only matters if "master/slave"
> exactly describes
> the relationship. In Karen's example, I don't
> think it does.
> I think the important characteristic of Karen's
> devices is that
> one impersonates the other, not that one
> controls the other.

That's the thing - both those things happen.

BigDumbBox needs to control both the MagicBoxes but
it's only designed to control one MagicBox.

So we set up MagicBox 1 and MagicBox 2 so that they
are functionally a single unit, which appears to
BigDumbBox as MagicBox 1.

Whatever MagicBox 1 does, MagicBox 2 will do the same
thing. MagicBox 2 can't do anything independently of
MagicBox 1.

Just to complicate matters, we also have
GrumpyLittleBox sitting in the opposite corner.
GrumpyLittleBox needs identical input from both
MagicBoxes, and can tell them apart.

(I don't think I can get away with "Batman" and
"Robin". Pity, that. :-)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList