Re: Reading meanings into information (Was:: Replacing "master" and "slave" terminology)

Subject: Re: Reading meanings into information (Was:: Replacing "master" and "slave" terminology)
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Michael West <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 04:13:37 -0700

Michael West wrote:
> [...]

That's funny! This is a guy who has the vision of what computers can
do. I know people who're that way--they're consumed with ideas about
building interactivity into everything everywhere, touch screens and
layers upon layers of information available for everything in sight. The
web was made just for them, I think. I'd bet your GM has lots to say
about the slow progress of automobile designs?

> The CFO, on the
> other hand, who wasn't an engineer, took the drawings as I intended them --
> just non-specific representations of buildings: any buildings, anywhere.

<Yawn> :-)

> The slide show was a success, they told me. But as soon as I got back to my
> desk, I ripped out the "building" clip art and replaced it with
> non-representational figures. Extrapolating that 50-50 split across the
> entire organization, the risk of confusion or distraction from the main
> topic was just too great.

Wow, that seems confining. But it has the ring of sound design: Use
elements that contribute their momentum to the message.

I like the idea that there's no confining an audience's attention to
only what is formally on the agenda, because nothing short of an
absolutely riveting presentation can succeed if distractions represent
failure. But within that range, removing distractions seems like a solid
approach. Still, after so much effort over the years to get us to the
point where we have great color, and huge varieties of design templates
and clip art, it seems a shame not to entertain as well as inform.
Depending on the audience, of course.

I'd like to see presentation skills that work <em>with</em> the tendency
of enquiring minds to explore unintended messages. Knowing the interests
of the audience might be one way to devise something along those lines.

Still, if the way people interact with words is any indication of the
way we're going to we interpret slides, then every person is potentially
different, and some even more so. I think it might be prudent to do away
with the words too. Let the audience think whatever they want. Heh.

--Ned

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList