RE: What about Technical Writer vs Communicator?

Subject: RE: What about Technical Writer vs Communicator?
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 13:43:07 -0700

To find out what someone really believes, Aristotle tells us to pay
attention to what he does, not so much to what he says. I think we can
extend this and say, to find out what someone does for a living, look at
what he produces (in contrast to the process that leads up to the
product).

I agree with Deborah--as she defines "communication". She makes an
important point when she states that regardless of genera and media, we
are most valuable to the business when we can excel at "communicating."
In fact, the dictionary supports her use of "communicator": "1. a person
who communicates, esp. one skilled at conveying information, ideas, or
policy to the public. 2. a person in the business of communications, as
television or magazine publishing."

However, I find "communicator" too general for anyone whose product is
entirely in print (be it text, graphics, or even Flash). "Communicator"
makes more sense for someone whose product is primarily phonocentric or
phonocentric and text-centric. I would say that Beth definitely is a
"communicator".

While the "communicator's" communications medium is primarily be voice,
for the writer it is primarily words in print. I think the position of
the "illustrator" is the most difficult. Where writing implies
"communication", "illustrator" does not (probably thanks to all of the
garbage that passed for "art" in the 20th century).

I also agree with Gene. "Technical writer" is ubiquitous and most hiring
managers are going to hire a "technical writer" instead of a "technical
communicator" if they need someone who excels at communicating using
words and pictures. I think it is safe to say the "technical writer" has
more clout as a writer than does the "technical communicator".
"Technical communicator" communicates "generalist", someone who is
pretty good at many forms of communication.

What Gene's description doesn't account for is the fact that it is often
difficult for a "technical writer" to gain recognition as a writer of
different breeds of non-fiction prose in a corporate culture in which
"technical writer" is defined according to the role of "technical
writer" as it is understood in aerospace. At the same time, I give what
he shares a lot of weight. I'd hate for my writing and technologist
skills to be glossed over by a hiring manager because I put "technical
communicator" on my resume instead of "technical writer". Again, we have
a distinction between what a thing is and what the market calls it.

Having said all of that, I'm much more interested in the possibility of
a distinction between "technical writer" and "technical author".
Although I understand that "writer" is a synonym for "author", I "feel"
there is a difference between the two terms.

If my memory serves me correctly, someone on this list recently shared a
wonderful brief history of our industry. He said that "technical
writers" were born of the aerospace industry, where they were hired to
"translate" engineerese into regular English that technicians could
understand. "Writer" makes sense to me in that context and leads me to
think that the task of translating engineerese into common English
should be somehow differentiated from writing from scratch.

In contrast what the first technical writers did, I learn to use an
application and then write about it. In other words, I write from
scratch. In the past, I have also written from engineering
specifications. This isn't quite the same as writing from scratch, but
it involves a lot more than simply translating engineerese. It seems
that "author" might be used to describes what most of us do since we
originate both content and form.

Thoughts?

Leonard C. Porrello