Re: Laptop Question (off topic? I don't know)

Subject: Re: Laptop Question (off topic? I don't know)
From: "Lech Rzedzicki" <xchaotic -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Collin Turner" <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 16:41:33 +0100

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Collin Turner
<straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> Windows XP Pro supports up to 4GB.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/features.mspx

Only x64 version can properly address 4GB and beyond, but let's not
talk about that problematic edition.

Microsoft pages neglect to inform that due to the way memory beyond
2GB is addressed (ugly hack), it's actually slower.
You can also use up to 512MB of your 4GB for integrated graphics card,
not that it's going to make it fast.

So in total that'd be 3.5GB used.

But truth being told, you're not going to use that memory, just look
at you RAM usage on a daily basis.
That extra RAM lies sucking battery power, is hardly ever used.

You're simply better off with 2GB RAM, less problems and can spend the
money on discreet graphics or faster HDD or nicer screen.

Lech

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList