Re: Alternative to floppy

Subject: Re: Alternative to floppy
From: "John Posada" <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 11:12:31 -0400

What you are doing is recommend a best practices that I'll bet, few people
did anyway. IF they saved the configuration, they copied the configuration
to a floppy and threw it in a draw. MAYBE they added a postit note. I'd
suggest to them that they backup the configuration and leave it at that.
Some may save it to someplace on their local C drive, some to a network

What do you care as long as they save it.

On 5/15/08, Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com> wrote:
> A current procedure tells the customer to save a configuration file to a
> floppy disk, write-protect the floppy, label the floppy, and store the
> floppy for future reference.
> Happy 2008! Floppy has left the building.
> The PC in question wouldn't necessarily have a CD-ROM burner, so that's
> not an option.
> A thumb drive isn't as easily write-protected, and of course some
> customers would be tempted to overwrite it and use it for other
> purposes.
> The PC in question wouldn't necessarily have e-mail access, but it would
> probably have Internet access. Still, it would be nice to come up with a
> cheap, simple, hard-media alternative to the floppy. Any thoughts?
John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
NYMetro STC President

- Said the Zen master to the hot dog vendor "Make me one with everything."

documentation. Boost your productivity!

or visit

Alternative to floppy: From: Dan Goldstein