Re: RE: old school

Subject: Re: RE: old school
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Hemstreet Deborah" <DHemstreet -at- kaydon -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:17:42 -0500

No, you date yourself when you mention Nash Rambler, and all you get are blank stares.

That dates you.

Why I remember when I walked to school, uphill both ways, dodging the dinosaur herds, while a blizzard raged. And the
sand was blowing in my eyes.

Scott

On Mon 08/05/19 08:18 , "Hemstreet, Deborah" sent:
> And remember those old big bulky tapes that were supposed to catch on
> instead of cassette tapes???
>
> I remember having some songs I loved on those, and all too quickly,
> totally useless.....
>
> Of course then there was the phonograph?
>
> My husband and I reminisced about some records the other day, and our
> daughters asked what they were... :(
>
> I think I just dated myself!!!!
>
> Deborah
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: techwr-l-bounces+dhemstreet=kaydon -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com[mailto:techwr-l-
bounces+dhemstreet=kaydon -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] OnBehalf Of Suzette Leeming
> Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 9:05 AM
> To: Fred Ridder
> Cc: t
> echwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- comSubject: Re: old school
>
> Thanks to all who remembered the name - they were mimeograph and ditto
> machines - they were two different (but somewhat similar) technologies
> and
> when you mentioned the smell of ditto copies, I could almost smell it
> again!
>
>
> Ah, the technology that has come and gone in such a relatively short
> time!
>
> Suzette Leeming
>
>
>
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 11:46 PM, Fred Ridder docudoc -at- h
> otmail.com>wrote:
>
> >
> > > Mimeograph? That has a drum and makes "dittos" of
> things, at leastthat's
> > > what I heard the copies called. But I don't know
> about the holepunching
> > > thing.
> >
> > Mimeograph and ditto were two different
> technologies.>
> > With ditto every character you typed when making the
> master deposted> some pigment from one sheet of the 2-part stencil form
> onto anothersheet.
> > Then you put the stencil on a drum that contained a
> volatile (andprobably
> > toxic) solvent that dissolved part of the deposited
> pigment andallowed it
> > to be deposited on a specially coated copy stock. The
> drawbacks ofditto
> > systems (aka "spirit duplicators") were that you could
> only make about> 30-40 clear copies before the pigment deposited on the
> stencil wouldbe
> > depleted and the copies would become illegible, and the
> duplicatedcopies
> > were purple. The advantage was that the copies smelled
> great if the> teacher had just run them off a few minutes before
> class.>
> > I don't know exactly what the mimeograph technology
> was, but it was> good for more like a few hundred legible copies from
> each master, and> the images were reproduced in black and did not have
> that wonderful> solvent smell. Not nearly so interesting to elementary
> schoolstudents...
> >
> _________________________________________________________________> Change the world with e-mail. Join the i'm
Initiative
> from Microsoft.>
> http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?source=EML_WL
> _ChangeWorld
> >
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^>
> > Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to
> Help file formatsor
> > printed documentation. Features include support for
> Windows Vista &2007
> > Microsoft Office, team authoring, plus more.
> > http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList>
> > True single source, conditional content, PDF export,
> modular help.> Help & Manual is the most powerful authoring tool for
> technical> documentation. Boost your productivity! http://www.helpandmanual.com>
> > ---
> > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as suz
> ette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com -dot- >
> > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> > techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com> or visit
> >
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/suzette.leem
> ing%40gmail.com
> >
> >
> > To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
> > Send administrative questions to admin -at- tech
> wr-l.com. Visit> http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and
> info.>
> >
>
>
> --
> "What I like to drink most is wine that belongs to others." - Diogenes
>
> Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail
>
> Need affordable web hosting? I recommend 1 & 1 - that's where I'm
> hosted!
> http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=6815038^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats
> or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista &
> 2007
> Microsoft Office, team authoring, plus more.
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList
> True single source, conditional content, PDF export, modular help.
> Help & Manual is the most powerful authoring tool for technical
> documentation. Boost your productivity! http://www.helpandmanual.com
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as dhemstr
> eet -at- kaydon -dot- com -dot-
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- comor visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/dhemstreet%4
> 0kaydon.com
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- tech
> wr-l.com. Visithttp://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and
> info.
>
>
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> Microsoft Office, team authoring, plus more.
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList
> True single source, conditional content, PDF export, modular help.
> Help & Manual is the most powerful authoring tool for technical
> documentation. Boost your productivity! http://www.helpandmanual.com
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as quills -at- air
> mail.net.
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- comor visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/quills%40air
> mail.net
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- tech
> wr-l.com. Visithttp://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and
> info.
>
>
>
>

---- Msg sent via Internet America Webmail - www.internetamerica.com
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
Microsoft Office, team authoring, plus more.
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

True single source, conditional content, PDF export, modular help.
Help & Manual is the most powerful authoring tool for technical
documentation. Boost your productivity! http://www.helpandmanual.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archive%40web.techwr-l.com


To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.


Previous by Author: Re: Document Mapping
Next by Author: Re: RE: What should we call the 'Central Area'?
Previous by Thread: RE: old school
Next by Thread: RE: old school


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads