Re: old school

Subject: Re: old school
From: "Suzette Leeming" <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Sam Beard" <sbeard -at- oico -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 13:04:10 -0400

I worked on the Wang as well - there were very few word processing systems
that I did not work on. I used to teach word processing at a night school.
The Mod-28 you mentioned sounds a lot like an early Xerox Memorywriter. You
could type templates of agreements, etc. on them, saved on a tape, then when
you played back/printed, it would stop at places for more information to be
entered. Sort of like an early form of mail merge!

The daisy wheel on the Wang was almost identical to the daisy wheels on the
early printers that came with the Xerox Memorywriters and their 850/860
systems. Different font sets on each one! And you could code when you wanted
the daisy wheel changed to have a different font for Headings, etc.

Wasn't that a Monty Python skit, walking up hill both ways in a snowstorm?
And sleeping in a cardboard box - ah, luxury!!

Seriously, what set us apart was that as technology advanced and things got
easier, we didn't take it for granted but appreciated the new tools that
were developed. Not to criticize people coming in these days, but they
really don't know how easy they have it!

This has been a wonderful trip down memory lane - makes me want to pull out
my 8 track tapes and 33-1/3 / 45 / 78 rpm records. They're all stored with
my old Brownie camera!

Happy Victoria Day to everyone!

Suzette Leeming
Keswick, Ontario