RE: old school

Subject: RE: old school
From: "Jodie Gilmore" <jgilmor -at- pacifier -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 11:13:28 -0700

Let's not forget scalpels and "mac-tac"! I used to do complicated math
equations using these, for my then boyfriend - now husband. Pages and pages
of them! I sure appreciated MathType when it came along!!

And as far as 8-tracks and songs go, I don't think lions live in the jungle
- they live on the savannah.

We had specialized HP and DEC computer terminals at Boeing when I worked
there, with keyboards that had odd, airplane-related characters/symbols on
them. And I have (not so) fond memories of MVS, TSO, VAX, and CMS!!

I first learned to code in Basic on a PC in 1981, and when I worked at
Microsoft, they were still pals with Apple and Macintosh (I worked on the
red "Macintosh book" published by Microsoft Press in about 1984). And I was
using a non-wysiwyg version of Word - remember the orange and green colored
type on the black screens? EEK!

And yes - to the person who mentioned C-Script -- I never did figure out
what was so unique and wonderful about HTML when it came out, since I had
been using a modified version of IBM's Waterloo Script and VMS's markup
language for years, where you started paragraphs with a code like /p and
ended them with \p (I forget the exact syntax - but I do remember marking up
chapters for indexing was a real pain!!)

What will we be using in another 20 years?!
Jodie Gilmore
Fulcrum Communications, LLC
Washougal, WA

documentation. Boost your productivity!