Re: Tools: Tracking down copyright violations?

Subject: Re: Tools: Tracking down copyright violations?
From: "Collin Turner" <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 15:21:33 -0600

Dan,

In HTML I did it via keywords. Just created a nickname (example:zxenhup)
that would be VERY unlikely to be found in a casual search of the internet.

If you are going to be publishing something, a simple catchphrase will work.
(example:"The orange room's view") The key is, you pick the most unique bit
out of your piece, put it in a field in the 'ole spread sheet and use that
to track your work. Use a search with quotes and there you go. You'll find
it.

Now, that last technique is a pain. I prefer burying things in meta
data...MUCH easier. For my RSS feeds, I use WordPress plugins to watermark
my data. They track it and report.

In all honesty? I don't worry about it much. I follow a pretty free market
approach. I Creative Commons a lot of my work. I track it, I know who's
using it. Unless it's abused? I don't really mind. If they're earning money
from me, then I care a bit. Mostly, they wind up generating more traffic and
buzz for me.

If it's work I've done for someone else? Then I alert them and their lawyers
can have fun.

I also make sure I have a lawyer on retainer...hehehe. There are times
that's come in VERY useful on the more important pieces when a Strongly
Worded Letter won't do.

-Collin
collinturner.com <http://www.collinturner.com>
The unofficial words of a Tech Writer