Re: STC Philadelphia conference sessions

Subject: Re: STC Philadelphia conference sessions
From: John Hedtke <john -at- hedtke -dot- com>
To: "Guy K. Haas" <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 13:04:52 -0700

(In the last few minutes before lunch is over, let me respond.)

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I was speaking for myself...
although you can well imagine that it's the Board's official position
that the Conference is a Good Thing. :)

I've coughed up for my STC membership, expenses, conferences, travel
expenses, hotels, meeting fees, and so on, out of my own pocket for
the last 22 years with the exception of the last 3 years, when
because I was on the Board, I got half of my conference membership
and most of my basic travel and hotel expenses paid for. (There was
a change just recently and Board members FINALLY got their conference
membership waived; prior to that we still had to pay for it even
though we never saw it and worked through the whole thing.)

My motivations for attending have been different every year. The
first few years, I went to get involved outside the Puget Sound area
and meet people from elsewhere in the US and the world. Other
reasons I have gone have included at various times and in multiple
combinations:
* to pick up skills I needed
* to get STC speaking gigs
* to network
* to do research for magazine articles and books
* to make contact with software developers and service vendors
* to present sessions
* to find work
* to garner contacts and resources for my local chapter
* to receive professional awards
* to work with the Nominating Committee (which I was a member of for
a couple years)
* to introduce my fiance to people and to show her the people I work
with (oh, she had things to say about tech writers! :) )
* to go to the place the conference was in
* to perform the latest silly song at the Jam Session

And always, always, always to see old friends and to meet as many new
people as I can.

Apart from being required to go this year because I'm still on the
Board for a little while longer, I'm looking to pick up a lot of info
about DITA, CMS, and a number of similar topics. I'll also enjoy
hearing the keynote speaker, Howard Rheingold, because apart from
being a really interesting speaker, he and I went to Reed College a
few years apart and knew a number of the same people. And I'm going
to be very pleased to be in Philly because my oldest stepdaughter
(the very-nearly Ph.D.) and her partner (the tenure-track
Ph.D.--"Good, good, you married a doctor!") live there and I get to
see them while I'm in the neighborhood. I'll also be seeing my boss
there, who I don't get to see regularly because we work about 1000
miles apart.

Them's the top dozen or so reasons that *I* go and have gone to STC
conferences. YMMV.

And it's 1:00pm, so I need to get back to work. Talk to y'all later. :)

John

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList