RE: What do you guys think of STCs new definition for technicalwriter?

Subject: RE: What do you guys think of STCs new definition for technicalwriter?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 10:17:21 -0400

Mike,

You are right. Sorry about that. Here are some quick (very quick) reactions:

I still don't like the "that are clear..." The definition should describe
what is done, not the ideal quality of the result.

I don't like "deliverables" -- the reader of this may not be familiar with
the word and "documents" is better, I think.

How about "...work in business, industry, and government..."

No need for "around the world," which these days goes without saying.

Comma is mandatory before "including."

I don't like "...a variety of methods, tools, and technologies including
writing, illustration, graphic design, photography, video, and sound" for
some reason, and it may be the "methods, tools, and technologies" that
bothers me. Perhaps it's that at least one method, tool, and technology
should be used in the list that follows "including." I don't think that "
"...a variety of methods, tools, and technologies" adds anything helpful to
the sentence. Is writing a method or a tool or a technology? I don't think
it's either! Same for all the others; one could ask the question about tool,
too. Is video a tool? A method?

I think that the definition needs to include something about the purpose of
the work that such a person does. I've seen excellent definitions of
technical communication online and elsewhere that address this. If I tried
to come up with my own statement, I know I would consult those first. ; )

Your version is definitely an improvement, Mike, but you know me -- picky,
picky, picky.

If I were seriously involved in drafting a definition, I would study
existing definitions of other occupations that are used by the publication
or entity in question and approach the task after analyzing other
definitions for their elements, content, and so forth.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com